Research Assistant, City Support: Municipal Campaigns
The Bloomberg Harvard City Leadership Initiative, the flagship program of the Bloomberg Center for Cities at Harvard University, equips mayors and senior city officials with leadership skills and management tools to tackle their cities’ complex challenges and improve people’s quality of life. The Initiative advances the field of city leadership through teaching, research, and new curricular materials that help city leaders drive government performance and address pressing social problems.
The Program for New Mayors is an annual offering for newly elected mayors in US cities with 75,000+ residents. For this program to run successfully, the City Support team leads a 10-month research process in which we collect election data, track candidates, and synthesize campaign themes to (1) develop a comprehensive database of eligible cities and (2) understand the issues that matter most to newly elected mayors.
The Municipal Campaigns Research Assistant will be integral to the success of the Program for New Mayors. collating critical data about candidates and their campaign platforms. This individual will collect, analyze, and visualize municipal data on 100+ campaigns and identify patterns in mayoral priorities to help us shape the next iteration of the Program for New Mayors which will take place in November-December 2023.
Tasks and Deliverables
- Collect data on key dates in every eligible city including filing deadlines and other notable election milestones
- Collect data on city characteristics like their form of government, term limits, and term length
- Collect background data on candidates in each city
- Research campaigns to understand candidate’s priorities and develop a nuanced understanding of their policy agenda
- Develop a standard report that can be updated monthly with election highlights
Desired Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- Team-oriented and personable
- Proactive in identifying improvements to existing data collection processes
- Detail-oriented and deeply curious
- Excellent communicator
- Interest in cities and the mayor’s role in affecting change
- Experience in primary data collection a plus
- Experience in data management and data visualization a plus
- Experience in political campaigns a plus
- Spring 2023 with option to continue full-time for summer
Anticipated time commitment
- Five to 10 hours per week
- $21/hour (graduate students)