Research Assistant, Research and Curriculum: New Roles Program
The Bloomberg Harvard City Leadership Initiative, the flagship program of the Bloomberg Center for Cities at Harvard University, equips mayors and senior city officials with leadership skills and management tools to tackle their cities’ complex challenges and improve people’s quality of life. The Initiative advances the field of city leadership through teaching, research, and new curricular materials that help city leaders drive government performance and address pressing social problems.
The Research and Curriculum Development team supports the Initiative’s executive education programming for city leaders by developing new city-focused curriculum materials and conducting original research to fill gaps in existing content and knowledge. The New Roles Program Research Assistant will conduct a review of existing city-focused teaching materials and identify opportunities for future curriculum development in support of new programs.
Tasks and Deliverables
- Produce an annotated bibliography of existing city-focused teaching materials in case databases (including Harvard Kennedy School Case Program, Harvard Business Publishing, Harvard Law School Case Studies, and others). This will include a review of teaching cases, learning objectives, teaching notes, and supplemental materials. Content will focus on roles or government functions such as human resources, community development, legal affairs, communications, and others.
- Organize findings, identify gaps in existing teaching materials, and provide recommendations to the Senior Program Director for Research and Curriculum Development and City Support team.
Desired Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- Analytic thinking with ability to discern trends and patterns
- Self-starter with the ability to manage time independently
- Familiarity with the use of teaching cases (case method) in a classroom setting
- Prior experience carrying out a literature review or producing an annotated bibliography
- Interest in city government, teaching, and/or pedagogy
- Spring 2023
Anticipated time commitment
- Five to eight hours per week
- $21/hour (graduate students)
- $16-$19/hour (undergraduates)