Research Assistant, Research and Curriculum: Paris Teaching Case
The Bloomberg Harvard City Leadership Initiative, the flagship program of the Bloomberg Center for Cities at Harvard University, equips mayors and senior city officials with leadership skills and management tools to tackle their cities’ complex challenges and improve people’s quality of life. The Initiative advances the field of city leadership through teaching, research, and new curricular materials that help city leaders drive government performance and address pressing social problems.
The Research Assistant’s work will support a teaching case currently in development that focuses on the mayor of Paris, Anne Hidalgo, and her leadership in greening the French capital in the fight against climate change. A key focus of this new teaching case will be on the importance of women’s leadership and the challenges faced by women leaders in politics.
Tasks and Deliverables
- Conduct research on Mayor Hidalgo’s tenure and policies by analyzing public information (reports, websites, media articles, etc.).
- Identify and analyze grey and academic literature relevant to the key learning objectives of the teaching case (e.g., women leadership, climate politics, multilevel governance, etc.)
- Support in the production of the teaching case and supporting materials (e.g., drafting sections of the teaching case and appendices, etc.)
- Possible support in preparation of interviews with case protagonists
Desired Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- Prior experience conducting grey and academic literature research
- Solid writing skills. Experience with journalistic or case writing will be a plus.
- Adaptability and willingness to pivot and rethink the approach as the project develops
- Command of French language and familiarity with French political landscape will be a strong advantage.
- Spring 2023
Anticipated time commitment
- Five to 10 hours per week
- $21/hour (graduate students)
- $16-$19/hour (undergraduates)